To secure energy supply stability and sufficiency for serving the increasing energy demand of the society; and after a thoroughly consideration of the Ministry of Energy and Mines, resulting in a strong support from the Ministry of Energy and Mines, Electricity Du Laos and Electricite Du Laos -Generation Public Company; and in order to gradually realize the government policy on renewable energy development, EDL Generation Public Company or EDL-GEN has established EDL-Gen Solar Power Company Limited on December 18, 2015. EDL-Gen Solar Power Company Limited is a joint venture company which is 60% owned by EDL- Generation Public Company and the other 40% is owned by Patthana Energy Absolute Sole Co., LTD.
EDL-Gen Solar Power Limited has strong desire: (1) to be a number one leading company in renewable energy in Lao PDR to ensure the supply of electricity for the socio-economic development of Lao PDR, together with electricity produced by water resources (hydropower plants).
(2) To be a company which strongly contributes to the realization of Lao PDR’s vision of being a battery of ASEAN in order to contribute and ensure sustainable and reliable power supply to ASEAN community.
• To be a number one leading company in electricity generating business by renewable energy to provide Lao PDR and neighboring nations, with sustainable power at reasonable prices and to become a future public company listed in Lao Securities Exchange (LSX).
• To stand side by side closely with EDL-Generation Public Company in order to maintain sustainable power both quality and quantity in order to supply electricity for socio-economic development of Lao PDR as well as the ASEAN nations.
• To upgrade and train its staff, so that they can actively participate in the development of the company with pride, responsibility and ownership.
• To generate electricity by solar, wind farms as well as by other renewable energy sources and sell this electricity to EDL.
• To jointly invest with both local and international investors to generate electricity by various renewable energy, in particular solar farm to supply domestic energy demand as well as ASEAN neighboring countries demand.
• To provide services in installation of solar roofing and solar street lights systems.
• To generate renewable power to support agricultural production as well as clean water supply to communities.
Current Solar Power Project and Expansion Plan:
EDLGEN – Solar Power First Project is located at Chaengsavang village, Naxaithong district, Vientiane capital, 2017.
According to the agreement between EDL and EDL-Gen Solar Power Limited, solar power electricity generation with 100 megawatts are set for 2 phases:
- Phase 1 with installed capacity of 32 megawatts are planned in Vientiane capital
– The 3 and 1.8 megawatts projects is located at Chaengsavang Village, Naxaythong District, Vientiane Capital
– The 7 and 8 megawatts projects is located at Phonkham Village, Pak Ngum District, Vientiane Capital
– The 2 megawatts project is located at Nahoi Village, Sangthong District, Vientiane Capital
– The 5.2 megawatts project is located at Mai Village, Sikhodtabong District, Vientiane Capital
– The 5 megawatts project is located at Sisavath Village, Naxaythong District, Vientiane Capital
- Phase 2 with installed capacity of 68 megawatts are planned to operate the construction in the potential area which the projects can linked to where the EDL’s transmission lines reached.